SOUTH DAKOTA ASSOCIATION OF RURAL WATER SYSTEMS
To have your job listed on our website and in our weekly JobConnection eNewsletter,
please CLICK HERE. Job postings are free for members of SDARWS.
Water Treatment Operator/Distribution System Operator – B-Y Water District
This full-time position is responsible for operating and maintaining all water treatment equipment. The applicant will also perform testing and chemical adjustments, maintain records and make adjustments to water treatment processes to ensure the quality of water. The position will also require the candidate be capable of maintaining electrical and mechanical equipment which measure, control and regulate water flows, pressures and levels. xperience in the coordination, supervision, installation and repair of distribution systems is desirable. The applicant should be able to read blueprints, diagrams, technical manuals and wiring schematics. The candidate will be required to work varying shifts, overtime, weekends and holidays. The applicant must be dependable, courteous, possess a mechanical and electrical ability. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, dental and vision plans, SDRS pension, 457 plan, paid sick leave and vacation.
Essential Job Functions:
The duties include but are not limited to:
• Maintenance of the water treatment plant as to insure a safe drinking water supply.
• Prepare water report analysis and report to manager.
• Prepare water samples.
• Prepare all reports pertaining to water treatment plant operations.
• Conduct laboratory tests and be able to react to the analysis and make adjustments to provide a consistent supply of quality water.
• Conduct plant operation rounds during shift checking pumps, motors, filters, meters, piping, levels and all related equipment.
• Monitor chemical inventories, record inventories, report needs and safely receive chemical deliveries.
• Maintain all equipment in treatment plant in operational manner.
• Maintain all equipment in intake structures in operational manner.
• Operate remote distribution sites from a master control center.
• Repair various leaks on the distribution system.
• Service and repair water pumps and pumping equipment.
• Secure easements.
• Record accurate as-built documentation.
• Preform system locates based on system records.
• Repair and service of customer meter installations.
• Maintain water plant facilities and operational equipment in a clean and orderly manner.
• Assure proper and timely response to service calls.
• Attend meetings as necessary.
• Complete all functions in a safe and quality workmanship like manner.
• Operation of system facilities during peak times on an evening/night shift.
• Implement any other directive designated by the manager or immediate supervisor.
The qualifications include but are not limited to:
• To preform effectively in this position the applicant must have a broad working knowledge of water treatment principles and practices.
• The completion of more than one (1) year of experience in the operation of a Class II level or higher water treatment plant is desirable.
• Graduation from high school or GED certification is required. Supplemental or vocational education/training or any such combination of education, experience and training as may be acceptable to the hiring authority.
• Excellent oral, technical writing, written communication skills.
• Team building skills.
• A valid driver’s license is required.
• Preference may be given for the possession of a valid South Dakota Water Operator’s Class II Certificate or the ability to attain the equivalent within 18 months.
• Preference may be given for the possession of a valid South Dakota Water Distribution Class I Certificate or the ability to attain the equivalent within 18 months.
• Knowledge of the machines, equipment and operations used in lime softening, filtration and disinfection of water.
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions relating to the safe handling of hazardous chemicals such as chlorine and lime, and the safe operation of mechanical and electrical equipment.
• Knowledge of electrical equipment and instrumentation.
• Knowledge in the construction, assembly, installation and repair of machinery and equipment.
• The willingness to work varied schedules and rotating shifts to accommodate system needs depending upon water usage.
• The flexibility to work overtime, weekends and holidays as required.
• A general working knowledge of computers, Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office software suite.
The position may require the ability to be outside much of the day, often in adverse weather conditions. The job will require walking, standing and sitting often for long periods of time. The candidate will also need to stoop, bend, squat and lift weights from 20 lbs. and occasionally up to 100 lbs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will often be loud and dirty. The weather conditions will at times be adverse, such as extreme heat or cold, rain, snow and wind. During operations the work environment will be varied based on system demands and will be spread between the treatment plant and distribution system. The candidate will travel regularly within the service area with occasional overnight travel required for training purposes.
To apply for this position:
Submit a cover letter, resume, professional references list and completed application including salary history to the address below. An application is available by calling (605) 463-2531. The position will be open until filled. Submit to:
B-Y Water District
Attn: General Manager
PO Box 248
Tabor, SD 57063
B-Y Water is an Equal Opportunity Employer
CORPORATE SPONSORS OF SOUTH DAKOTA RURAL WATER
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm
203 W. Center Street | PO Box 287
Madison, SD 57042
605.556.7219 (p) | 605.556.1497 (f)
301 Seaton Circle | PO Box 815
Spearfish, SD 57783
South Dakota Rural Water is a proud member of the National Rural Water Association
2017 © Copyright All Rights Reserved
SOUTH DAKOTA ASSOCIATION OF RURAL WATER SYSTEMS